At first read of that title, you might be thinking, “well duh, of course I know, because I can see my body doing “x” and how I feel is “y””. You’d be right too, for the most part. However there can be times when you really aren’t sure whether what you’re eating and in fact your lifestyle habits overall are doing what you hope they will.
I’m going to take a wild guess and say that what you want your diet to achieve for you is to:
- feel fantastic all the time
- give you abundant energy
- look your absolute best
- have a balanced, healthy, maintainable weight
- feel strong, confident and empowered
- feel freedom around your body image and your relationship with food
- support you to do whatever you want to
- be totally delicious and appealing (like this smoothie, who I want to kiss and cuddle and shower love all over)
- prevent sickness, symptoms and disease
- help reverse sickness, symptoms and disease if you are already suffering with them
- fill you up, satisfy you and allow you to live a life you love.
That’s quite the list for your diet and lifestyle habits to achieve but I can tell you it’s 100% possible.
Obviously not all these things are achieved by diet and lifestyle habits alone. There’s also stress, emotions, environment, spirituality and your sense of self worth that can impact these things heavily.
You can however assess whether what you are doing now, specifically what you are eating, is working for you so that you can achieve all of these things in your near future, by using some of the methods below.
Just a quick reminder that tomorrow is my Juice And Smoothie Tasting Party in Perth from 1 to 3pm. I have an incredible line up of recipes to share with you, to demonstrate, and for you to eat! Be sure to secure your spot for the Party by emailing me here. If you don’t love it you get your money back!
Here’s how to see if what you are eating is working for you:
1. How you feel. This one is pretty obvious but if you don’t feel good, have much energy, especially sustained energy, wake up feeling great and clear-minded, are not easily able to focus and concentrate, then what, how or when you are eating is probably not working for you. It’s important to notice not only how you feel overall, but also how you feel after eating certain foods or combinations of foods. This will give you a really clear look at what does and more importantly what doesn’t work for you.
2. How you look. You don’t need to look like a supermodel to know your diet is working for you, but if you aren’t looking your best your diet is very likely playing a big role in this. If you have dark circles under your eyes, a puffy face, sallow skin, eyes that aren’t bright, are overweight, have more than the occasional pimple or increasing amounts of cellulite, you could do with some changes to your eating choices or patterns.
3. Symptoms, sickness, tiredness? If you have any of these regularly, a lot can be done in terms of your diet and lifestyle habits to improve and even eliminate these things. I’m testament to it myself. I used to have all of the above frequently. Now I rarely have any (unless I renovate for 16 hours straight like I did last weekend…then I’m tired ). If you take a proactive role in your health and commit to finding what works for you, then being consistent with it, you don’t need to live with any of this either. This is why getting help from someone who can coach and guide you to find what works is extremely helpful.
5. Your moods. Swing from happy to irritable at the drop of a hat? Whether you are pre-menstrual or not, male or female, your moods do not have to be madly changing from one extreme to the other. In fact, when you are eating and living in a way that supports, balances and nourishes your body, your mood is generally just….happy. That’s not to say you won’t get stressed out, bitchy, angry, annoyed or crazy sometimes. You will. But it will be much less often and it will be almost entirely die to your circumstances and emotional and mental responses to situations rather than from your food choices. I don’t know about you but I’d prefer to just deal with and manage the mental and emotional aspects as things happen rather than having to deal with physical challenges too!
4. Testing methods. Getting various tests to check for imbalances, deficiencies, hormonal changes, allergies, intolerances, digestive function, candida, parasites, heavy metals and more can be extremely helpful in seeing what is really going on in your body. It’s not helpful to blindly pursue a way of eating if you don’t feel great on it, thinking it will naturally turn around for you. It might not if you have a major imbalance or condition. You need to correct this at the same time as eating a clean diet that works for you, cleansing your body, supporting your elimination channels, creating lifestyle habits that are healthy and managing your emotional and mental wellbeing too. Bear in mind that the accuracy of different testing methods varies dramatically so do your research and always be your own health detective. Here’s just some of the tests you can choose to have in your arsenal:
- Blood work (for vitamins, minerals, hormones, heavy metals, thyroid function and more)
- Live blood analysis
- Allergy tests
- Intolerance tests (both blood tests and muscle testing)
- Digestive function tests for candida, parasites via stool samples
There’s many more tests out there too but this list should give you an overview.The key is to assess where you stand with each of these things, not put all your faith in just one of them without considering the others.
I want to reiterate here, it’s probably not just your diet that is causing imbalances and lack of health and energy, but a combination of physical, mental, emotional and environmental aspects so consider them all (without getting overwhelmed) and get help to get your best body, health and life yet!
Are your current food choices making you feel all of the above bullet points I listed? Leave me a comment to let me know your situation.
Have an amazing weekend with the perfect diet for YOU!