Recipe by The Rawatarian
Raw Banana Custard Cups are simple to pull together, and when served in tall dessert glasses they are sure to impress. This recipe makes 6 small, rich servings. These desserts can be prepared in advance except for the banana layers. This is a very rich, sweet dessert so a little goes a long way. Distribute your serving sizes accordingly!
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 3/4 cups raisins
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 3-4 perfectly ripe bananas
- Nut base: Place walnuts, raisins, salt and cocoa powder in a food processor. Process into a fine meal – similar to making a raw pie crust. Set aside.
- Custard filling: Add all creamy custard filling ingredients to your high-speed blender. Blend until very smooth. You may need to pause blender and slip a spatula down the side of the mixture to create an air-pocket if mixture isn’t circulating properly. Be patient and ensure that you blend enough to get a silky, smooth and creamy texture.
- Prepare to assemble into 6 individual dessert cups. For full visual effect, choose see-through glass containers. You can use glass dishes, dessert cups, ramekins, or even tall drinking glasses.
- Starting with the nut mixture in the bottom, start layering. If you will be serving them right away, incorporate banana slices now. (If preparing in advance, avoid adding bananas until the last minute so that the bananas don’t discolor.) These can be served right away, or refrigerated in advance.
- Before serving, add your banana layer and top with some leftover nut base crumbles.
Guest Chef: Laura-Jane The Rawtarian creates simple, satisfying raw food recipes. She is also the host of The Raw Food Podcast, and the author of The Rawtarian’s Raw Staples Recipe Book. She shares 100+ free simple, satiating raw food recipes at www.therawtarian.com.