Chocolate is a raw or processed food produced from the seed of the tropical Theobroma cacao tree. Cacao has been cultivated for at least three millennia in Mexico, Central and South America. Its earliest documented use is around 1100 BC. The majority of the Mesoamerican people made chocolate beverages, including the Aztecs, who made it into a beverage known as xocolātl, a Nahuatl word meaning “bitter water”.
Chocolate in the stores is often full of… crap.
Dairy, sugar, and unmentionable ingredients.
Not a proper presentation of what is considered “the food of the Gods.”
So what do you do if you’ve got the choco-urge? Make it yourself, and I’m going to show you how.
Now you might be thinking that making chocolate would be quite difficult; and with kids, close to impossible. Well I went all the way to Georgia to visit my buddy Aiden to show you just how simple, easy, and of course fun making raw and healthy chocolate can be.
So check out the ingredients list below, watch the video, and lets have fun.
Click here to watch this video on YouTube
- 1 cup Cacao butter
- 1.5 cups Cacao powder
- 3/4 cup Sweetener (agave, honey, stevia)
- 2 pinches of Sea Salt
- Optional add-ins: Maca, cinnamon, chia seeds, cashews, nuts, essential oils
- Boil a pot of water
- Chop up cacao butter and add to a glass dish, then set on top of pot of water.
- Stir until the cacao butter completely melts, then pour into bowl.
- Add cacao powder in and stir until all the powder is dissolved.
- Add sweetener, sea salt, and optional ingredients in and stir (you can do this before the powder if you like as well).
- Taste the chocolate and make adjustments if needed.
- Pour into molds (or use a squeeze container, but move fast before it hardens)
- Freeze for 30 minutes then enjoy.
Note: You can use anything as a mold if you don’t have a chocolate specific mold on hand, even simply a tupperware container. Or, try it in a glass as a dark chocolate drink and enjoy right away.
Of course there are a thousand ways to make chocolate, this is just a down and dirty method than can be done in minutes. Experiment, have fun, and drink lots of water.
For more easy and healthy raw dessert recipes click here.