I used to spike my watermelon juice with vodka. These days I opt for…turmeric. It may not give you quite the same effect, but it sure is delicious.
But this new recipe puts an entirely different spin on my beloved watermelon juice with the addition of fresh turmeric root. An earthy, spicy, full flavored twist.
Most people only ever eat turmeric as the dried powder. It is wonderful for adding to soups, stews, curries, salads and more. But my favorite is to use the whole turmeric root. You peel it and can then add a tiny bit to smoothies, juice it like in this recipe, grate it finely onto salads or into cooked dishes, and even put a little in a dessert! Super yummy and a wonderfully earthy flavor.
No matter whether you like fresh or dried turmeric, it’s a super healthy root that is well known for it’s health benefits, including:
- Helping to ward off colds and flus
- Has amazing anti-cancer properties
- Aids digestion and helps to soothe indigestion
- Purifies the blood
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Wonderful for skin challenges like eczema or psoriasis
- Soothes respiratory ailments
- Helps the body to digest proteins and fats as well as to regulate blood sugar for diabetics
- Is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial.
Pretty amazing little plant, huh?! Which is why I try to add it to whatever I can.
This recipe will give you another one to add to your turmeric repertoire, plus a great way to enjoy the fresh Summer flavors of watermelon.
Turmeric Spiked Watermelon Juice
- 5 cups watermelon
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 thumb-sized piece of turmeric, peeled
- 1 beet, peeled
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Run each ingredient except the lemon through a juicer one at a time.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the rest of the juice.
- Stir and drink.
Super easy and healthy. It’s a win-win.
Share and Like this recipe if you dig it, and leave a comment below to let me know what you think of this recipe!